Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Strange Pink Cross Named Dominique

by Chris Chaos

On the corner of Myers Ave and Route 73 in Winslow Township you will come across a peculiar pink cross with the name DOMINIQUE emblazoned across it. Over the last few years I have driven past it many times and wondered who it immortalized and what circumstances occurred for it to be erected. Eventually I took to the internet to start researching what the story was behind this pink cross.

***NOTE*** Some details and names were left out to protect the parties involved.

The facts pulled from various news sources were: On April 5th, 2008 Dominique Dezii was tragically killed when an ATV, on which she was a passenger, was struck by a car in Winslow Township NJ.

The news reports are a dime a dozen, people are sadly killed in accidents everyday. So who was this Dominique? For this, you have to dig a little deeper. She was more than just another statistic and a memorial on the side of the road. Dominique was an 8th grader in Winslow Middle School and participated on the town's softball and field hockey teams. The teams that she played on were the Winslow Mayhem and South Jersey Bandits for softball and the Winslow Eagles for hockey.

Her friends and family had this to say about her:
"Even at her young age Dominique was an inspiration to all who knew her. Quick with a smile and always comforting to those she loved, she made the world a better place."

The incident happened in April of 2008 when Dominique and two of her friends (Amber Napoli, 15 and the unidentified male driver) were traveling on an ATV. At the time of the accident a 16 year old boy (identity withheld) was driving when the ATV was on Myers ave and the boy saw a police cruiser, got scared and sped away. The boy ran the red light at the intersection of Myers and Route 73 and a Nissan Altima hit the ATV as they attempted to cross traffic. None of the three passengers on the ATV were wearing helmets and Dominique was killed on impact and another female passenger was injured.

Dominique's mother did not fault the boy as it obviously was not intentional and he has been friends with her daughter for some time. Initially the boy was to receive vehicular-homicide charges, but later in court he was placed on probation, would not be able to get his license until he turned 18 and received mandatory counseling.

Additional charges brought up by the Winslow police were: Operating the ATV without the headlights on, carrying passengers on a vehicle not designed to carry passengers, operating a vehicle not meant to be operated on public roads, none of the teens were wearing a helmet, the ATV was not registered or insured, reckless driving, failure to observe a traffic signal.

Hopefully this information will shed a little light onto what many have questioned: Who was this Dominique and why is this cross on the side of 73? So the next time you see it, be sure and wave and say hello.

Here is a personal webpage that Dominique had:
 Dom's Personal Page

The Dominique Facebook Tribute Page:
Dom's Tribute Page

(Chris Chaos is a long time resident of South Jersey who once again resides in and writes from Gloucester City, New Jersey. He is a filmmaker, a business owner, writer, urban explorer and investigator of the odd and weird, a proud parent, happily taken and a connoisseur of hot wings. Chris can be reached at

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Developmental Delays, Von Economo Cells

by Chris Chaos
The Human Brain
Developmental Delay: the condition of a child being less developed mentally or physically than is normal for its age. A combination of Autism, Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Tourettes Syndrome, OCD, dyspraxia or dyslexia.

Here we will explore the various developmental delays, the possible causes, the indicators and other ways to treat them alternative to medications.

Delay: impede the process or progress of; retard; hinder....

When related to the growth of a child this is alarming; anything that could be a roadblock to the properly forming body and brain. In today's industrialized world of quick fixes, microwaved meals, instant gratification, plastic fork, disposable plate and throwaway culture, logic and reason are tossed aside in the interest of convenience, replace-ability and ease.

Fast Food Culture
If you pass an unhealthy fast food restaurant around lunch time or dinner time you will see lines in the ease of use drive thru..and yet you will still see people complaining over the wait times. Think back to your grandparents time when they took the time to shop each and everyday for fresh and healthy foods not contaminated by additives, sodium, fats and other detrimental ingredients. The trade off for the modern human is the ease and convenience to practically eat anything they want at anytime they the expense of their health.

At the time of this writing (2016) the average American is very stressed at the economy, the price of commodities, lack of job prospects and the discomfort of seeking higher education. People turn to distractions to sway their attention from the negatives of modern adult life and they are usually highly unhealthy and detrimental to their health. Some turn to video games, smoking cigarettes/pot, eating sweets or to more harsh activities like sex, drugs, excessive drinking of alcohol or any other enterprise that if done in excess is harmful.

Keeping with all the above in mind and knowing how toxic it can be to the human body, if any of the mentioned activities were to find their way into a growing infant or child's body, it would wreak havoc much more than in an adult who is fully grown or already in decline. If insufficient vitamins and nutrients are not reaching a growing child's mind or body, it may not form correctly.

Over the course of many years a handful of animals evolved from standing and walking on four legs to using only two legs. The remaining two legs began to be utilized to perform other tasks and an opposable thumb developed, these legs then became know as hands. Animals that truly stand on two feet are called bipeds. Humans, primates and birds had to expand their body parts, muscles and organs to make the upright position work, the neocortex, new brain developed out of the the reptilian brain, the old brain being the  brain-stem and cerebellum, i.e. archeo cortex. In addition to standing upright, this caused the pelvis in humans to shrink.
Neocortex, Limic Brain, Reptilian Brain

Human fetuses should optimally stay in the womb and be birthed in the 21st month as opposed to being prematurely birthed in the 9th month. A baby experiencing birth prior to the 9 month mark will come into undo stress to the developing nervous system. The obvious issue with a baby being born in the 21st month is that the babies head would be too large to be birthed through the existing hips and birth canal. At birth the human brain is 350cc and will grow to 1400cc in adulthood. Because of this early birth schedule quite a few things can negatively occur while the brain still is forming and being nurtured outside of the womb (juvenilization). This is when some of the symptoms can first appear. (Autism, ADHD, ADD, Tourettes Syndrome, OCD, dyspraxia and dyslexia) Genetic predispositions can come into play also, if passed from the mother there is a 30% chance, but a 70% chance if from the father, it is a genetic probability but not certain.
Agouti Mice

DNA is not a destiny, check out some studies on agouti mice, when changing the diet it is possible to change their death from cancer/diabetes end result. Diet can change the way genes express themselves.